Friday, April 11, 2008

Adult Onset Diabetes

So back in October I wrote that I was diagnosed with Adult Onset Diabetes. I've been fighting a battle since then to bring down my blood sugar naturally. I've maintained and continue to modify a healthy low carb diet. I've had the best of intentions to exercise but that hasn't happened on a regular basis.

We're coming up on 6 months since I was diagnosed. I keep going back to the doctor and getting my levels checked. She's let me remain medication free because I've managed to slowly (by healthy eating alone) lose almost 15 pounds. But my numbers are still high. 139 fasting. Ugh! But I did fit into a regular (non-plus size) XL jacket last night. I felt like crying in the store!

I've been able to make lasting changes in our diets. Cutting out sugar was the easiest part. Splenda makes it easy for me. Cutting out carbs is another hurdle though. I've been eating only high fiber, whole grains but I still need to eat more plants. I'm really interested in this book Superfoods RX. Anyone know anything about micronutrients? I already feel the difference in my energy level with our new diet change and I'm starting to feel the difference in my clothes. Now I just need the difference in my numbers. Anyone know a good personal trainer that will come whip me into shape after the kids go to bed?

2 comments:

Yondalla said...

Congratulations on loosing the weight and making changes!

I had gestational diabetes. I was able to manage it with diet and exercise. I took three 10-15 minute walks a day, one after each meal. I stuck to an incredibly strict diet.

And I counted down the days. I thought a often that having a count-down for how long I had to do this made it easier. "Just 70 more days to go." And I did know the maximum number of days because the diabetes I knew they would not let me go past my due date.

As soon as the babe was born I went back to my old ways.

Really. First phone call I made was to my best friend, "The baby's here! Will you bring Andrew and my cookies to the hospital?"

Yeah...my girl scout cookies had shown up the DAY AFTER I was diagnosed.

Heather said...

Good luck! I have family members with diabetes and I know how difficult it can be. Congrats on the clothing change! That is something to celebrate by itself!

Heather